Monday, May 17, 2010

JOHN FANTE SQUARE IN THE LA WEEKLY




This week I have a story in the LA Weekly regarding the unveiling of John Fante Square at the corner of 5th and Grand in downtown Los Angeles. I attended the event on what would have been the writer's 101st birthday (which is April 8) and was really excited when the fine folks at the LAW said they'd want me to cover it.

As I've mentioned before, I get a major thrill writing for the Weekly and when I write about John Fante, I always get nervous. He is by far my favorite writer and trying to convey how important he is -- along with his immense talent -- is never an easy task.

Let's hope I did an alright job.

Click here to read the story.

1 comment:

  1. Ryan, speaking as one of the folks involved in the Fante Square proposal, I thought this was a lovely piece! Especially liked the image of the switch flipped and the crowd appearing. Thanks so much for doing it.

    By the way, the ceremony was videotaped, and can be viewed at the link below:
    http://www.archive.org/details/JohnFanteSquareCeremony

    ReplyDelete